skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Cowboy Up!
This last weekened we went up to my mom and Brent's ranch in Wyoming. It was time to cut, immunize, and brand the baby calves, and Adam and Scott were excited to help! They seperate all of the calves from their mothers, and then one by one someone on a horse ropes a calf (one of which was my grandpa Lightfoot and his horse Apple), the boys tackle it to the ground and hold it there while someone gives it a shot, Brent cuts their testicles out, and then they are branded with a HB (Brent Hogge).
It's kind of hard to watch, but I know that it is necessary so that the calves don't get sick, over reproduce, or get lost in with someone else's cattle. BJ is Brent's son, and he brought two of his four cute kids with him to the ranch. They are Baylee, 4 and Stetson, 2 and they are so cute! I spent most of the day that the branding was going on hanging out with them. We watched their daddy brand, and they cheered him on the whole time. Stetson kept saying "nice job dad", and "You're the best one dad." He referred to the calves as "his cows", he would say, "I have to get my cows." He is so cute, and very smart for his age! He is going to be a great cowboy someday. Baylee was busy carying around her Hanna Montanna bag, and a cute green purse. We emptied out the contents numerous times so she could show me all the important things she keeps with her at all times, like a High School Musical microphone, jewelry, and a calculator. After the spectating we were pretty tired! My mom, Baylee, and Stetson all fell asleep on the couch together, I had to get a picture of that. The next day we played with our dog Moose, and Scott's dog Rascal. They loved being able to just run around up there and play in the water. Adam bought a new shotgun for his birthday, so we went to the Gun Club, a shooting range up the road, to try it out. Scott and Adam took turns throwing clay pigeons for each other to shoot. I even threw one, if you look close you can see it went pretty far! I shot Adam's gun, but I didn't aime at anything, I just wanted to try it. It kind of hurt my shoulder, so I only did it once. Oh yeah, and the picture of me shooting showcases my growing tummy pretty well! I think I'm finally starting to look pregnant, which is fun. Before we left on Sunday we decided to ride the fourwheelers. My mom and Baylee rode one, Adam and I were on another, and Scott was on the dirt bike. We took the dogs with us, but the boys decided to take them back because they kept running in front of four wheelers. My mom, Baylee, and I said we would just wait for them to come back, and then we'd continue riding. Well, they took forever, so we went back to see if everything was okay. We were going slow around corners incase they were on their way back. All of the sudden, Adam comes speeding around a corner on the dirt bike, I guess we scared him, so he hit the brake really hard and the tires locked up. He went sliding across the dirt road, the bike went one way, and he went another! It was so scary to watch my husband crash right in front of me! He was okay, just some pretty bad scrapes on his hand, arms, and legs. It could have been a lot worse! I'm so thankful he didn't get really hurt. Anyways, that was the end of our ride. We went back to the house so he could clean up and put some bandaids on. We had a lot of fun up there. It's nice just to be a ways from home. Our cell phones don't even work up there, so we can just completely relax.
Thanks mom and Brent for having us up there, we love you!